Group organizes to promote rail line rehab
An organization comprised of South Dakota farmers and citizens who support investment in the state-owned rail line west of Chamberlain was established at a public meeting at Kennebec February 6th.
The goal of the grassroots organization, Rails to the Future, is to find funding to upgrade the 42-miles of rail line to support 110-car grain shuttle trains from Chamberlain to Presho.
Senate bill 137 would appropriate at least $6 million from the state’s general fund to begin rehabbing the rail line from Chamberlain to Presho and spur economic development in central South Dakota.
Rails to the Future nominated Steve Halverson (222-0270) of Kennebec as chairman, Bill Ferguson (840-9015) of Witten as vice-chairman, and Bryan Jorgenson (840-9005) of Ideal as secretary/treasurer.
The organization is asking for financial support to hire lobbyists to promote SB137 in the 2014 legislature. Donations of any amount would be appreciated but only donations of $1,000 or more will be allowed a vote in the Rails to the Future organization. Donations may be sent to any of the officers or dropped at one of the Dakota Praire Bank locations at Presho, Draper or Fort Pierre.
For more information contact any Rails to the Future officer or see the website at railstothefuture.com.
- Lyman County law enforcement officers recognized
- Presho’s Sidewalk Project presented to public
- Lyman Alumni Reunion set for July 30
- New members seated on School Board
- Deer Camp available for first time Youth Deer Hunters
- Railraod crossings being replaced along DSR
- DIY for the 4th of July
- Slow down, kids at play
- “Knee high by the 4th of July”
- Vivian to host local 4th of July Celebration
- Unofficial School Board election results