NewsJanuary 16 2012
State Will Honor Former Gov. Bill Janklow on Tuesday
PIERRE, S.D. – Public viewing will be provided from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. CST on Tuesday, Jan. 17, when former Gov. Bill Janklow lies in repose at the South Dakota Capitol.
Those wishing to pay their respects may enter the Capitol via the north doors (parking lot side), where they will be directed to the second-floor Rotunda for viewing of the flag-draped casket.
Entrance at the north doors is expected to close about 10:30 a.m. Tuesday to ensure that people in the Capitol by that time have a sufficient period to move through the Rotunda and then exit by 11 a.m., when it’s necessary to begin preparations for a 1 p.m. memorial ceremony. Access for the ceremony will begin at 12:30 p.m., again via the north doors.
The memorial ceremony is expected to last about 45 minutes, concluding with an honor guard carrying the casket down the front steps of the Capitol for the trip to Sioux Falls with Highway Patrol escorts.*
As the procession exits the Capitol, there will be a flyover by F-16 jets, a 21-gun salute and taps.
Gov. Dennis Daugaard has requested that flags be lowered to half-staff through Friday, Jan. 20. The flag is customarily displayed from sunrise to sunset, but may be displayed for 24 hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.
The Capitol will be closed to the public at 5 p.m. on Monday and not reopen until 7 a.m. Tuesday. Circle Drive in front of the Capitol will close at 5 p.m. Monday and remain closed to the public until after 3 p.m. on Tuesday.
South Dakota legislative leaders have announced that there will be no legislative session on Tuesday, Jan. 17 or Wednesday, Jan. 18.
Former Gov. Janklow’s funeral service has been set for Wednesday, Jan. 18, at 10:30 a.m. CST at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, 909 W. 33rd Street, Sioux Falls.
*Here are the approximate (likely to be the earliest) times that former Gov. Bill Janklow’s procession from Pierre to Sioux Falls on U.S. Highway 83 and Interstate 90 will pass certain points on Tuesday. Those wishing to view the procession along the way are advised that they cannot park on the shoulder of I-90 or on I-90 overpasses. They are advised to park off the interstate on the shoulder of entrance and exit ramps or on side roads.
- Leave State Capitol at 1:45 p.m.
- Arrive Fort Pierre on Highway 83 at 1:51 p.m.
- Arrive at I-90 at Vivian at 2:23 p.m.
- Arrive Presho on I-90 at 2:35 p.m.
- Arrive Kennebec on I-90 at 2:41 p.m.
- Arrive Reliance on I-90 at 2:53 p.m.
- Arrive Oacoma on I-90 at 3:01 p.m.
- Arrive Chamberlain on I-90 at 3:07 p.m.
- Arrive Pukwana on I-90 at 3:14 p.m.
- Arrive Kimball on I-90 at 3:22 p.m.
- Arrive White Lake on I-90 at 3:26 p.m.
- Arrive Plankinton on I-90 at 3:42 p.m.
- Arrive Mount Vernon on I-90 at 3:52 p.m.
- Arrive Mitchell on I-90 at 4:02 p.m.
- Arrive Alexandria on I-90 at 4:11 p.m.
- Arrive Salem on I-90 at 4:26 p.m.
- Arrive Humboldt on I-90 at 4:40 p.m.
- Arrive Hartford on I-90 at 4:48 p.m.
- Arrive Sioux Falls on I-90 at 5:15 p.m.
- Successfull Shamrock Shuffle
- Speed limit and fees increase April 1
- Wheat Growers holds open house in Kennebec
- Central South Dakota 's Scavengers Journey set for June
- Coach receives star quilt
- Irish celebration draws near
- Annual event draws crowd to Presho gym
- Presho, Kennebec to hold city elections
- Wheat Growers releases site layout for new facility at Kennebec
- Lyman meets Jones Co. in Dist. 13B Championship game on Thursday
- Lyman plays Whiter River tonight at Dist. 13B
- Lyman to host Dist. 13B Girls Tournament