Posted by Kim
Melanie Bowers, curator, on the right and museum staffer Doreine Anderson view a family history in newly organized research section at the LCHS museum. photo by Lucy Halverson
By Lucy Halverson
New staff members and a host of volunteers have the Lyman County Museum open and ready to receive visitors from far and near.
Melanie Bowers, recently hired as the new museum curator, is responsible for the day to day operation, scheduling of staff and volunteers, and the arrangement of new displays in addition to a host of managerial type duties. Melanie and her husband Tom have lived in Vivian for over two years.
According to Melanie some of the changes around the museum this summer include organizing research material in the southwest corner of the main building into a more visitor friendly area. \"By placing a couple of new file cabinets back to back a sturdy, counter height work area was formed that is large enough to hold open books and old newspapers more easily,\" added Bowers.
A new display of original items from the Lyric Theater has been formed. Also, the depot display is currently under construction. Items that would have been in or around the town\'s depot are being rounded up for the display.
The museum will be open Sunday July 4th regular Sunday hours which are 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Area residents are encouraged to stop and visit the museum this summer.
Part-time staffers at the museum this summer include Doreine Anderson, Kennebec, Justine Perry, and Meghan Downs both of Presho. Community volunteers include Philip Caslin, Bonnie Diehm, Norma J. Johnson, Gay Murphy, Bette Reumann, Wanda Sweeney, Verna Young, Lonis and Lois Wendt, and Wanda Lee Sweeney.
herd numbers or moved livestock extensive distances for adequate pasture and water.
- Rails to the Future Applauds Receipt of $13 Million TIGER Grant to Build Railroad to Presho
- Homecoming King and Queen Crowned
- Survey indicates pheasants numbers strong in central South Dakota
- Celebrate South Dakota's 125 years of Statehood at the museum Sunday
- Booster Club hosts kick off
- Market features sunflower blooms and more
- Kennebec to celebrate Lake Byre; DayTriathlon set for Saturday
- Pool season comes to an end
- Hoping for a favorable nod from the judge
- Reminiscing at school reunions
- New Lutheran pastor arrives in Presho.
- Lyman and Presho alumni meet this weekend