Return of Rail Service to Lyman County could be on the Horizon
The South Dakota Railroad Board authorized an application for another Tiger Grant to rehabilitate an additional 42 miles of track on the old Mitchell to Rapid City (MRC) line.
Bruce Lindholm, of the South Dakota Department of Transportation, stated the Tiger III application seeks $24.5 million to repair the line from Chamberlain west to Presho. “We’d like to get to Vivian, but we’ll be happy to make Presho,” said Lindholm during a telephone interview last Thursday.
It was also confirmed that Governor Dennis Daugaard made a commitment to assist with matching funds by pledging $4 million to the project.
Look for more of the story in this weeks issue.
Pictured: Weeds now grow between the tracks of the Dakota Southern Railroad line near the Wheat Growers Elevator at Kennebec that could soon be put back into service.
- LHS to crown King & Queen Monday, Sept. 26
- Lyman PF Chapter plans Banquet
- Kennebec hosts Rodeo for Cowboys and Cowgirls, age 4 to 18
- GLF Update: "The Miller Challenge"
- Pheasant survey indicates Lyman County routes among highest in state
- Court rules on County State’s election
- Enrollment up at the start of the new year
- Fall sports back in action
- Kennebec to celebrate Lake Byre Day
- Presho Firefighters receive Grain Bin Rescue equipment and training
- Lyman County ACS Survivor celebration event
- Swimming season comes to an end